Checkpoint Fire Caused by Short Circuit of Electric Cables
Luohu Checkpoint reopened its doors yesterday after a fire hit the inspection complex last Monday night. Investigation traced the source of the fire to a short circuit of electric cables at the 11th floor complex.
The fire was placed under control after an hour when it started which led to the evacuation of more than a thousand travelers. People trapped on the complex rooftop were also rescued. The city fire department reported no casualties during fire.
Outbound travelers were redirected to Futian checkpoint, which extended their closing time to midnight to accommodate outgoing passengers. The 24 hours Huanggang Checkpoint also added more inspection channels to accommodate outbound travelers as well.
Hong Kong initiated an emergency response plan and asked travelers going to Shenzhen to use the Lok Ma Chau Spur control point that is connected with Futian Checkpoint in Shenzhen instead of using the Lo Wu control point that is connected with Luohu Checkpoint.