Guangzhou Unveils Plans to Limit the Number of New Vehicle Registrations

Guangzhou Unveils Plans to Limit the Number of New Vehicle RegistrationsGuangzhou recently announced a detailed car ownership plan that is intended to limit the number of vehicles in the capital giving preference to low emission type of vehicles. Following Shanghai, Beijing and Guiyang, Guangzhou became the fourth Chinese city to implement limitations on car sales in efforts to reduce traffic jams and improve air quality as well.

The plan started on August 1st 2012 and will until June 30, 2013, under the plan the city will only allow 120,000 new vehicles to be registered over a one year trial period of roughly about 10,000 vehicles a month and 60 percent of the license plates will be issued through a lottery system just like Beijing. The remaining 40 percent will be auctioning off just like Shanghai. Through the lottery system 12,000 of these plates are allotted for new energy vehicles and 60,000 will be divided among different types of vehicles. Car emissions less than 2.5L in displacement must be registered through the lottery. The remaining plates not subjected to emission levels will be auctioned off.

Car owners can retain the old license plates instead of getting a new one through lottery or auction under the conditions that their new vehicles emissions should not be greater than their old vehicle.

Comments are closed

The Contributor

Follow me on twitter: TriaSasin

    Connect with Jasmin:
  1. - Email: Click here

Have Your Say!

Which part of Shenzhen has the best quality of life for foreigners?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

  1. Etienne Ducrot: Hi, I’m interested to contact this Foundation. Do you know how? Thanks. Etienne
  2. Emma: Hi Jasmin, I’ve read your article about a new medical center opens in Nanshan at the end of this month....
  3. sherry lee: A simple story with great words…I love it.
  4. Evangeline: Awesome piece!
  5. Glenda: Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.