Center of Disease Control Advises Residents on Purchasing Shellfish
The Shenzhen Center for Disease Control and Prevention are warning residents on purchasing shellfish since a number of people suffered food poisoning related to a toxin that is found in shellfish. Saxitoxin is a type of neurotoxin that has various forms. The center said that most of the people affected suffered from paralytic saxitoxin.
Symptoms of this toxin include paralysis on the face, neck and hands along with high fever. People suffering from severe cases of the toxin can have difficulty in moving and speaking. Center officials encourage residents to purchase fresh shellfish at licensed stores and are possible to avoid buying shellfish from roadside vendors. Residents a re also advised to clean the shellfish in water before cooking and to frequently change the water so the toxin will be fully discharged.
The center also advised residents to go to the hospital immediately is any of the symptoms arises and is also telling children and elderly people to avoid eating huge quantities of shellfish. Center officials also said that warning is only temporary since this type of problems is seasonal in nature. Seafood poisoning usually happens in late fall when the weather cools down thus making more residents to eat outdoors and buying food from local roadside food vendors.